Pre-Procedure and Post-Procedure
Botox / Dysport
BOTULINUM TOXIN PRE-PROCEDURE INSTRUCTIONS
- For optimal results and to decrease the chance of bruising at the injection site, please avoid all blood thinning medications and supplements for 1 week prior to your botulinum toxin appointment. Avoid taking Aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDS) such as such as Ibuprofen, Motrin and Aleve. In addition, very high doses of some Vitamins and supplements can thin your blood and increase the chance of bruising. Please notify your provider if you are taking Coumadin, Plavix, or any other blood thinners for a medical condition.
- You may not be pregnant or nursing.
- During your treatments, notify our staff of any changes to your medical history, health status, or personal activities that may be relevant to your treatment.
BOTULINUM TOXIN POST-PROCEDURE INSTRUCTIONS
- Try to exercise your treated muscles for 1-2 hours after treatment (practice frowning, raising your eyebrows or squinting). This helps to work botulinum toxin into your muscles. Although this is thought to help, it will NOT impact your treatment negatively if you forget to do this.
- DO NOT rub or massage the treated areas for 4 hours after your treatment. DO NOT do strenuous exercise for 4 hours after treatment. Also AVOID facials or saunas for 4 hours after your treatment. This will minimize the risk of raising your blood pressure and therefore minimize the risk of temporary bruising. Feel free to shower and go about most other regular daily activities.
- DO NOT lie down for 4 hours after treatment. This is to avoid the risk of pressure on the treated areas (from your pillow) and to avoid the risk of having the area rubbed accidentally.
- Be assured that any tiny bumps or marks will go away within a few hours. If you need to apply make-up within 4 hours after treatment, only use a GENTLE touch to avoid rubbing the treated area.
- Results of your treatment may take up to 14 days to take full effect. Please wait until the 14 days has passed before assessing if you are pleased with the result.
- MOXXI would like to see you for a 2 week follow up assessment appointment. This will ensure we are able to see how your facial muscles reacted to your treatment. If you require more product to fine tune/adjust your treatment results, it will be applied during this appointment at an additional cost. For medical reasons, your results will be photographed and documented in your confidential patient file.
- Because botulinum toxin requires a special technique in order to customize the injections to your individual muscular structure, it is important that your muscle actively recovers BUT that your skin is not creasing to the point from where you started.
- Botulinum toxin is a temporary medication, and you may find that your treatment results will last approximately 3-4 months. To maintain the effects of botulinum toxin, we would like to see you within that timeframe. Please ensure you schedule this appointment before you leave today.
DERMAL FILLER PRE-PROCEDURE INSTRUCTIONS
- Schedule filler appointments at least 4 weeks prior to any special events! Ideal results, bruising, and swelling may be apparent for 2 weeks after treatment.
- Avoid aspirin for 10 days. Ideally avoid ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve, Vitamin E, Ginseng, St. John’s Wort, Omega 3/fish oil, for 5 days prior to the procedure, because these medications will make you more likely to bruise. Please call the office with any medication questions.
- You can take arnica tabs for 7-10 days prior to your injection appointment although this is not mandatory.
- Tylenol will not cause bruising and is preferred for the week prior to treatment.
- Alcohol is also a blood thinner and should be avoided for 24 hours prior to the procedure to minimize bruising.
- To minimize risk of infection, it is important to avoid dental work, including cleanings, for 2 weeks before and after your ﬁller procedure.
- Reschedule your appointment if you have a cold sore. Antiviral medicines are recommended if you have a history of cold sores, as lip filler can trigger cold sores.
DERMAL FILLER POST-PROCEDURE INSTRUCTIONS
- Avoid significant movement or massage of the treated area unless instructed by provider.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours.
- Avoid extensive sun or heat for 72 hours.
- Avoid consuming excess amounts of alcohol or salts to avoid excessive swelling.
- If you have swelling, you may apply a cool compress for 15 minutes each hour.
- Use Tylenol (acetaminophen) for discomfort.
- Try to sleep face up and slightly elevated if you experience swelling.
- Take Arnica (typically found in health food stores) to help the bruising and swelling. Begin taking at least two days prior to injections.
- Wait a minimum of four weeks before skin care or laser treatments.
Dermal fillers last, on average, 6-12 months. It is recommended at the time of your treatment to schedule your next appointment for optimal anti-aging benefits. The most typical side effects (bruising, swelling, redness) are temporary and will resolve. However, please call the office to notify us if you experience any additional side effects.
- Avoid sun exposure/burns 24 hours prior to procedure.
- Discontinue use of retinoids 24 hours prior to procedure.
- Avoid procedure if you have an active breakout or open lesions.
- Allow at least 24 hours after autoimmune therapies before procedure.
- Avoid Aspirin, anti-inflammatory medications (i.e., Ibuprofen, Aleve), blood thinners, herbal supplements, Vitamin E, and Fish Oil for at least one week prior to and the day of microneedling to minimize bruising risk- you may restart these the day following your treatment.
- Wait six months following isotretinoin use. This is a medication is used to treat severe acne.
Note: On darker complexions, pigment may darken prior to lightening.
IMPORTANT: Microchannels created during the procedure may remain open for up to 24 hours. Unexpected complications may occur when products not proven safe for use with micro-needling are applied post-procedure.
- Microneedling with hyaluronic acid: Use ONLY hyaluronic acid serum provided the day of the procedure to avoid complications and re-apply as needed, for up to 24 hours, to keep moisture in the skin.
- Microneedling with platelet-rich plasma (PRP): PRP to stay applied for AT LEAST 4 hours and can be washed off with lukewarm water. After 4 hours, you may wash your skin gently with lukewarm water. Make sure to use clean hands to pat it dry. Follow with hyaluronic acid serum (provided at appointment) for up to 24 hours, to prevent skin from drying out.
- Do not apply chemical sunscreen for up to 24 hours post procedure.
- Normal skincare routine may be resumed the following day post procedure.
- Avoid highly active skin care products such as retinol and alpha hydroxy acids for at least 3 days as these can cause irritation on compromised skin.
- Avoid sweaty exercise 3-10 days post procedure and be conscious of sun exposure as it can cause hyperpigmentation post microneedling (use a zinc oxide and titanium dioxide ingredient-based sunscreen to sit on top of the skin, forming a barrier against the sun’s rays and/or wear a billed/ brimmed hat).
- Avoid anti-inflammatory medications (Advil, Ibuprofen, or Motrin) immediately post treatment as these can interfere with the natural inflammatory response.
- Avoid icing the face.
- Do not scratch, poke, or pick at the treated skin.
- Stay hydrated by drinking more water before and after microneedling.
DERMAPLANING/CHEMICAL PEEL PRE-PROCEDURE
Please discontinue products containing any exfoliating agents (retinoic acid, tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, astringents, etc.) 24-48 hours before treatment.
Do not bleach, wax, tweeze or use depilatory creams in the treatment area.
A history of herpes or cold sores may require a course of anti-viral medication pre and post treatment. Please call our office for a prescription.
Please come to the office without make-up, creams, gels, or lotions on treatment areas.
DERMAPLANING/CHEMICAL PEEL POST-PROCEDURE
Avoid products containing any exfoliating agents (retinoic acid, retinol, tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, astringents, etc.) for 24 hours after treatment.
You may resume your regular skin care routine 24 hours after treatment.
AFTER YOUR CHEMICAL PEEL
A chemical peel treatment may cause the following for two to 24 hours (these are normal, expected outcomes and are not reason for concern):
- Redness / Tightness / Itchiness / Sensitivity / Slight swelling Specific treatments may cause the following for three to five days.
These are normal, expected outcomes and are not reason for concern:
- Temporary dryness / Skin peeling / flaking
Following specific treatment, you will be asked to avoid getting the skin wet for eight hours. Following treatment, you will be asked to avoid makeup, fake tan, direct sun exposure, ice or ice water on the treated area and excessive heat for the rest of the day.
Following treatment, you will be asked to avoid hot tubs, steam rooms, saunas, excessively hot showers, swimming and aerobic exercise for two days.
Following treatment, you will be asked to avoid AHA and BHA skincare for three to five days. Following treatment, you will be asked to avoid electrolysis, waxing, threading or any other form of hair removal for seven days Following treatment, you will be asked to avoid tanning booths, facial scrubs or mechanical forms of exfoliation, retinoic acid, laser hair removal, photofacials, chemical peels or microdermabrasion for 14 days
You may have been given a Post Peel Kit, which contains SensiCalm cream cleanser, Hydrating Recovery Balm and Sheer Hydration Broad-Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 40 Untinted.
If you have any questions regarding your treatment, don’t hesitate to contact your AlumierMD professional who will be happy to speak with you further.
POST-CHEMICAL PEEL INSTRUCTIONS WHAT TO EXPECT
It may take 2 or more treatments to target the deeper layers of skin to loosen and “peel”. The degree of peeling does not necessarily reflect the efficacy of the procedure. Refrain from removing peeling skin by any means including picking, peeling and exfoliating as it could result in hyperpigmentation or scarring.
CARING FOR YOUR SKIN AFTER TREATMENT
If you have just received a Glow Peel avoid getting the skin wet for a minimum of 8 hrs. Avoid the make-up / fake tan / direct sun exposure, ice or ice water on the treated area and excessive heat for the rest of the day. Avoid hot tubs, steam rooms, saunas, excessively hot showers, swimming and aerobic exercise for 2 days. Avoid AHA and BHA skincare for three to five days. Avoid electrolysis, waxing, threading or any other form of hair removal for 7 days Avoid tanning booths, facial scrubs or mechanical forms of exfoliation, retinoic acid, laser hair removal, photofacials, chemical peels or microdermabrasion for 14 days in case of emergency such as allergic reaction, please contact your physician and proceed to the nearest emergency room.
SCULPTRA PRE- AND POST- PROCEDURE INSTRUCTIONS
After each treatment session with Sculptra Aesthetic there are a few easy things you will need to help with the treatment results. You can print out this instruction sheet and keep it handy so you remember to do these things every day:
- HAVE AN – ice pack ready: Within the first 24 hours of treatment, apply a cloth-wrapped ice pack to the treated area for a few minutes at a time. Never apply ice directly to the skin. The cold will help reduce common swelling.
- GIVE YOURSELF – facial or body massages: Massage the treated area for 5 minutes 5 times a day for 5 days after treatment as recommended by your medical provider.
- AVOID – excess sunlight and UV exposure: Protecting your skin from the sun is always important, but after treatment, excessive sunlight and UV lamp exposure should be avoided until any initial swelling and redness go away. Your medical provider will provide guidelines on sunscreen protection and how to avoid excessive sunlight.
Call your doctor if you have any questions or concerns after treatment. Also, report any side effects to your doctor. Be sure to keep any follow-up appointments that may be scheduled.
Remember, Sculptra Aesthetic works by gradually replacing lost collagen. It provides improvements subtly without making it look like you’ve had work done..
SCULPTRA POST-PROCEDURE INSTRUCTIONS
- DO massage the treated areas 5 times a day for about 5 minutes for 5 days after treatment.
- DO hold ice packs on the treated areas gently for about 3-5 minutes a few times that day.
- Feel free to wear makeup a few hours after.
- Treated areas may be red, swollen, and bruised for the first 2-7 days.
- Do NOT get a facial or massage for 2 weeks after your filler procedure.
- Avoid strenuous workouts and alcohol for 24 hours if possible.
- If bruising occurs, continue Arnica supplements, DO apply topical Arnica gel, drink fresh pineapple juice, and/or take Bromelain supplements to help bruising resolve faster.
- Bruising can be covered with makeup.
- A few days after treatment, you will look as you did before treatment. This is normal, over time, Sculptra will replace lost collagen.
- Follow up treatments should be scheduled about every 4-6 weeks.
- Visible results may not be seen until 2-3 sessions have been completed.
- Results can last more than two years.
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Hair Injections
PRP HAIR RESTORATION PRE-PROCEDURE INSTRUCTIONS
- If you are taking any blood thinners, please let the doctor know immediately, as they may represent a contra-indication to this treatment. These medications include Plavix, Coumadin and Heparin.
- You may use Tylenol (acetaminophen) as needed prior to the treatment.
- If you are taking broad beta-blockers such as Inderal (Propranolol), please contact the doctor as this medication may need to be changed to a select beta-blocker in advance of the treatment.
- If possible, please refrain from, or minimize, smoking three days prior to and one day after the treatment. Smoking may impact healing and oxygen delivery to the scalp; therefore, your results may be improved the longer you are able to stop smoking before and after the treatment.
- Prescription medications (including heart and blood pressure medication) should be taken as prescribed right up to, and including, the day of and the day after your treatments.
- Minimize alcoholic consumption the day prior to your PRP treatment
…THE MORNING OF YOUR TREATMENT…
- Shower the morning of your treatment and wash your hair very thoroughly using a FRAGRANCE-FREE SHAMPOO. Do not apply sprays, gels, or any other styling products to your hair. If you wear a hair system, please remove it prior to shampooing and do not wear it before your PRP treatments.
- Recommendation for shampoo: VaniCream Free & Clear Shampoo from Amazon ($9.99)
- Eat regularly the morning of your treatment and please drink approximately 16 oz of water at least 2 hours prior to your treatment.
- Sedation is not required for PRP treatments and local numbing will not be given due to the risk for shock loss.
PLATELET-RICH PLASMA POST-PROCEDURE INSTRUCTIONS
Please carefully read and follow these instructions after your PRP treatment. There are minimal restrictions after your PRP injections allowing you to return to your daily activities almost immediately.
- DO NOT touch, press, rub or manipulate the treated area(s) for at least 8 hours after your treatment.
- AVOIDAdvil, Aleve, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Naprosyn, (all non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents), Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver, Essential Fatty Acids (EPA, DHA), for at least 1 week prior to and 2 weeks after your treatment. Remember, our goal is to create inflammation. These listed medications will limit or prevent inflammation, which can diminish your results. If you must take Aspirin for cardiac reasons, you certainly may do so, but this may limit your results.
- It is normal to experience bruising, redness, itching, swelling and/or soreness that may last from 2-5 days following your procedure. If you experience any pain or discomfort, you may take Tylenol or other Acetaminophen-containing products as directed. We would prefer if you could refrain from applying ice to the injected area as ice acts as an anti-inflammatory.
- DO NOT wet your hair for at least 48 hours after your treatment.
- After 24 hours, use shampoo that is pH balanced.
- DO NOT use any hair products for at least 6 hours after your treatment.
- AVOID saunas, steam rooms, swimming for 2 days after your treatment.
- AVOID vigorous exercise, sun and heat exposure for at least 2 days after your treatment.
- AVOID alcohol, caffeine, and cigarettes for 3 days after treatment. Smokers do not heal well, problems recur earlier, and results may take longer.
- AVOID resuming Minoxidil (Formula 82M, Rogaine®) or hair coloring or straightening for 3 days.
- Continue increased water intake the first week after your treatment